Form Deans Assistant/Assistant to the Director of the Icahn Program
Reporting to the Form Deans, with a dotted line report to the Director of the Icahn Scholars Program, the Form Deans Assistant provides secretarial and administrative support to the Form Deans and Director of Icahn Scholars as needed and assists and provides support to students as needed.
This is a full-time, academic year, benefits eligible, non-exempt staff position. The hours are 8:00 am - 4:00 pm for approximately 40 weeks per year.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide secretarial support including typing, filing, and proofreading; answer phones; communicate with parents, students, staff and faculty; handle mail; copy documents; schedule appointments and maintain electronic calendars; order supplies.
- Monitor student class and detention attendance, notify appropriate individuals of absences and assign prescribed discipline, maintain electronic attendance data base. Coordinate disciplinary work crew assignments when needed.
- Manage and process electronically (REACH) and in person student weekend and vacation sign-outs.
- Maintain student electronic Blue Cards.
- Prepare and distribute numerous lists, on a weekly basis and/or throughout each term, detailing information such as student invitations and permissions, student weekend whereabouts, Thursday and Saturday Detention lists, and academic warnings.
- Assist deans with special projects such as rooming lottery, Prize meeting, Judicial Committee, and Student Council elections.
- Coordinate the preparation, proofreading, mailing and filing of term end student reports.
- Cover for other assistants as needed.
- Other related duties and projects as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities Specific to the Icahn Scholars Program:
- Assist the Director of the Icahn Scholars Program with general administrative duties for the Icahn program.
- Assist the Director of the Icahn Scholars Program with budget management and reconciling the budget report each month.
- Assist Icahn students with their spending accounts, including petty cash vouchers, college spending accounts for sixth form students, and cash returns when applicable.
- Minimum of two years office assistant experience. Previous experience working with students preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact and work effectively with students, parents and other employees at all levels with warmth, tact and professionalism.
- Excellent organizational and administrative support skills with the ability to effectively prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
- Willingness to collaborate effectively with other members of the department.
- Excellent proofreading, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle confidential material in a discreet manner.
- Knowledge of and dexterity with word processing, Excel and Outlook; PC proficiency preferred.
- Knowledge of and basic experience working with budget sheets.
- Willingness to learn and use any electronic software and electronic devices as the job requires.
- Ability to work independently and to take initiative to solve unexpected issues and problems.
- Strong ability to assess a situation and to initiate or delegate responses appropriately.
- Ability to function in an environment with constant interruptions.
- Physical requirements include: ability to climb stairs, bend, open file drawers, lift and carry light objects.